Thursday, October 18, 2007

Farewell Joe

Well, it happened exactly as I predicted. The Yankees offered Joe a deal and he told them to shove it. To this I say, BRAVO.

It's not that I want to see him go. He's one of the best managers in the history of baseball. But he deserves more respect than he's gotten from Steinbrenner and he'll get it elsewhere.

As for his replacement, I'm calling it now: Girardi. While much talk has been made of Mattingly stepping in, I don't think he has the stones. Girardi has the experience and the balls to deal with Steinbrenner. He did great work in Florida, despite having to deal with Jeff Loria and the lowest payroll in baseball. And while some think it would be a problem, Girardi's managerial style will make coaching former teammates easy.

As for who goes with Torre? Let them all go if need be. Mariano? See ya. Posada? I love you, but if you gotta go I understand. Arod? Easily one of the best players in baseball. But enough distractions. The $200+ million payroll isn't working. If it's going to be a new era, so be it. Take the money and use it for younger pitching and players who aren't so distracted by their own superstardom.

It is sad to see Torre go and I know he'll be just as successful wherever he lands next. His contribution to the franchise and his impact on the spirit of the team is unrivaled. But sometimes you have to move on. It's been a great 12 years. Here's to a great 12 more.

0 comments: