Monday, June 4, 2007

On butter and brawling

I write this post in a similar condition as the last one…hung over and on a plane. I should definitely not be allowed to go to Vegas.

One of the great things about Vegas is that you’re never at a loss for interesting people. I went to Blondie’s Sports Bar on Friday to catch the first game in the Yankees/Boston series and found myself surrounded by Yankees and Red Sox fans. Thousands of miles from both hometowns, and yet there were more fans of those two teams than any other. It truly is one of the greatest rivalries in the history of sports. (side note: Pyle, lets do a list of greatest rivalries ever).

The highlight of the evening (besides the Yankees winning), was when a Red Sox fan offered a Yankees fan $100 to eat 50 little restaurant packs of butter. And the crazy bastard did it. I’ve never been more prouder to be a Yankee fan. It wasn’t that he actually did it (because that was just plain stupid) but it was the fact that he got challenged and didn’t back down. It reminded me of the old Yankees who didn’t take crap from anyone, let alone Boston. And somehow that attitude found it’s way to Fenway where the Yankees showed some of the old fire and fight, complete with a ninth inning, bench clearing brawl.

Now I’m not going to condone fighting in baseball (you know, except for when you clock your own catcher in the dugout), but it was good to see the Yankees caring about something and sticking up for one of their own. They played as a team, which is one of the many things that have been missing this season. And sure enough, they took the series 2-1. There’s a lot of work to do, and I don’t think for one second they’ll take the division. But for the first time in quite a few games, the Yankees were fun to watch. Not because they won, but because they cared. And dammit, they made me care too.

1 comments:

Rat In A Cage said...

... and then there was tonight against the ChiSox. I need another beer.