Friday, June 15, 2007

In Honor of Father's Day

In honor of Father’s Day, I wanted to share the story of why sports became, and still is, such an important part of my life. (My apologies for being serious. I promise to return to shenanigans and drunken blogging tomorrow).

My dad adopted my little brothers and I when I was 6. My brothers were younger and had that natural gender bond with him that allowed them to start the father/son relationship easily. I, however, was a rough and tumble 6 year old girl. I wanted desperately to bond with my new dad and had not yet established a common ground. He was a man’s man and not one to show emotions, and so I struggled trying to find something to connect to him with. One of the things I noticed was how much time my dad spent watching sports and so I started to pay attention. I would ask him questions about the games, the players, the teams and I would sit there and listen as he talked. And the more he talked, the closer we became. And I fell in love with sports, both for the competitive nature of it, and for the relationship with my dad that sports provided for me.

As I’ve gotten older, my love of sports has grown into a near obsession that has surpassed both my brothers and my dad. My dad cheers against all of my favorite teams, just to get me all riled up, and whenever the Yankees blow a 4 run lead in the 8th the first phone call is always from him. While our conversations have, of course, evolved over the years to cover more worldly topics, it was our initial connection over sports that provided the platform for the amazing relationship we have today.

Whether he is with me physically or not, every game I watch, I watch with my dad .

Happy Father’s Day, Daddy.

3 comments:

extrapolater said...

Very nice! I hope my son remembers going to games and such when he gets older.

Rat In A Cage said...

That's an awesome post.

(I'll save my Yankees rant for another day)

Rat In A Cage said...

Looks like you got to enjoy a little bit of a laugher tonight.

Everybody Wang-Chung tonight!