Thursday, May 31, 2007

Arod, you inspire me

I went out for a few drinks with friends last night to watch the Yankees game and the bar we went to happened to be doing karaoke night. Well, the Yankees won and let’s just say it turned into the kind of night that starts with a few drinks and ends with you doing Irish Car Bombs and singing Journey. So I’m writing this post while hungover on a plane to Vegas. Good times.

The subject of this week seems to be Arod and his evil ways. While I’m not going to devote any time to the ridiculous alleged cheating on his wife issue, I do want to touch on the “I got it” issue. Apparently (allegedly) Arod called Toronto’s Clark off of a ball last night while running from second to third. Clark, hearing “I got it” (or "hah" or whatever Arod yelled) and assuming it was McDonald, backed off the ball and it dropped innocently, continuing the inning and allowing two runs.

I’m not gonna lie. I like Arod even more for this. I mean c’mon. It’s freaking funny. It’s dirty ball, but it’s funny. And the two runs that scored didn’t make or break the game, so get over it. And you may be saying “Sure, you only think it’s funny because it didn’t happen to your team”. Well, you’re wrong. It’s hysterical no matter how you look at it. And you gotta give Arod points for creativity and having the brass balls to actually pull that off. And it's really not that different than breaking up a double play by sliding inside, or waving your arms, or whatever you have to do.

I can understand McDonald’s frustration, but it should have lasted only a split second. If you can’t see the humor in this, then someone pissed in your Wheaties. The Yankees have had tough times this year. Bravo for bringing some levity to the game.

6 comments:

Monday Morning Punter said...

I agree; It's not A-Rod's fault that guy was a dipshit and took himself out of the play.

It's not bush league if it works...

Andrea said...

Arod needs to tryout for "Last Comic Standing."

Check out my blog - today it's about sports: abarclay12.wordpress.com

Bruce said...

I'm not an A-Rod fan, by any means, but c'mon; this is ridiculous. Take some responsibility, dude; you screwed up.
That's like Garry Templeton(I think it was, at least) telling whoever the Cardinals manager was at time, "I lost it in the sun." The problem was, they were in the Astrodome at the time.

Rat In A Cage said...

I felt bad for Clark since he just came up from the minors yesterday. I would rather A-Rod had clothes-lined him on the way by to really get everyone fired up. Bring on the Red Sucks!

Car bombs! Alright. I haven't had one of those in a year, but I have the ingredients. Huhmmmmm.

T. Leach said...

It wasn't Arod's fault when he tried to slap the ball out of Mientkaywhateverthefuckhisnameis' glove in the 2004 ALCS either. It's now a pattern of Bush-league behavior.

TURF TOE

Rat In A Cage said...

The Red Sox announcers tonight were saying they didn't know what the big deal was because this sort of stuff has been going on forever in baseball and goes on in every game. Furthermore, Jerry Remy said "If you're dumb enough to fall for it, shame on you." He then pointed out you should know your teammate's voice, but I still say the poor bastard was just up from the minors that day & probably thought he was deferring to a real big league player. Who cares. We've won a whopping 2 in a row now!!!! It's time for some car bombs!!!